Hell: An awful truth

When I was nineteen I was asking a lot of questions about Christianity.  I thought of myself as a Christian but I was not sure what the gospel was all about.  One of the big questions I had was 'how can a loving God send people to hell?'  Although I do not like the fact that those who die unrepentant will be sent to hell, it seems very clear to me that this is what the Bible teaches.  Jesus offers people a rescue.  He offers to save us from the awful consequences of our sin and rebellion.  But sadly many say 'no' to this promised gift.  The theologian J. I. Packer explains that, 'None are shut out from mercy save those who shut themselves out through impenitence and unbelief.'  Similarly the apostle Paul talks of people who perish because they 'refuse to love the truth and so be saved' (2 Thessalonians 2:10).  I have added the following clip from Mark Driscoll, who is speaking on Luke 19:19-30.